Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
tractorbuyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-04          113051

City boy question...I'm buying 80 acres. It's in hay now and relatively flat. I know I'll need a loader, mower & box blade. The mowing will be the largest repetitive task. I intend to put a 3000' grass airstrip on the property, so I'll need a mower capable of a pretty neat cut, but it doesn't need to be a putting green. The box blade will be used to put a crown on the current hay field. The airstrip will be 50'x3000'. It will also be used to keep a driving path clear and smooth. The loader will do light to moderate duty. So, what size tractor to keep me from mowing continously? Also, which mower? Rotary mid/rear mount? Flail? Thanks in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-04          113053

Right off the bat I'd say you're trying to find a Swiss Army Knife that cuts grass.

For cutting the grass you won't need a huge machine, provided you have some patience.

However, if you intend to regrade 3.5+ acres of land that changes things a little.

My recomendations would be to a) buy a dedicated grass cutter, that way you won't spend all your time cutting grass, then b) buy a small CUT to do the regular maintenance items, and c) hire a pro with big machines to build the strip, it will be money well spent.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-04          113060

Tractorbuyer; I agree with Murf 3000 ft. of runway is almost 3.5 acres, thats a lot of crown to build. I've never built a runway with a crown but have put in quite a few field waterways where you're doing just the opposite by grading it low in the center to direct the water. One big thing that will make your job a lot easier is to spray the sod you're going to grade with roundup at least three weeks before you want to grade it. Having dead sod and dead roots instead of gobbs of live roots makes grading a joy rather than a mess. Get someone with a road grader preferably with a laser and they'll have it done in a day or less. I guess I'd lean toward a 25-30 hp. compact with a loader and rear mount finish mower to take care of the rest. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-04          113062

How abot a 60 to 70 horse tractor and a 17' batwing with a zero turn to trim! ....

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
plots1

2005-07-05          113090

I like art's idea, lots of ponies and a big mower. smaller unit to trim. unless you got a/c or just don't mind the heat on a all day mow. ....

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-07-05          113091

To heck with all that!!

What kind of airplane do you have and can I come over and play when you are all done?!? :0) ....

Tractor Size 80 acres

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-06          113112

Interesting posting. I've been known to occasionally state "with that I could do this and this and this." Then I use the jack of all trades item to tackle a big project. Then I go rent the big piece of equipment to finish the really big job like I should have done in the first place.

Initially, I liked your thinking. But then I thought about how much time it would take to do what you want with a tractor and a box blade. Then I wondered how much experience you have doing such work. I'm surprised at how much thinking I did.

Finally, I came to the conclusion that you should hire out the actual grading work for the airstrip. Hire someone that has the equipment and experience to do the job the right way and quickly. Then you can come back in with a smaller tractor (intended for the mowing & maintenance) and do the finish work. With a smaller tractor you can rig up a smoother using a length of chain link fence to relaly smooth out the surface of the air strip. You can rent a seed spreader that runs off your tractor to spread the grass seed you'll need. And then eventually run the mower and a box blade for general maintenance.

Basically I see two different equipment needs. A medium sized tractor of at least 25 Hp and preferably 30 hp to do the mowing and maintenance. Then something much much bigger to do the main building phase. I think you'd be happier hiring out the big work and having fun finishing up the rest yourself. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login