Go Bottom Go Bottom

Advice on changing fuel filter on TC29

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-19          28363

Diesel guys, could somebody give me better directions on bleeding the fuel system after a filter change than what is described in the owners manual? How can you be sure the system is adequately bled? What are the ill effects if some air remains? Tractor is a TC29. Thanks, Bill Mullens

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Hans Top
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-19          28366

Bill when you have to bleed the system these items have to be followed for best results. Make sure the fuel tank is full to take advantage of maximum head pressure. Next ensure throttle setting is at full open so that pump is set at maximum fuel displacement. Next always work from the tank to the injectors (fuel filter, pump, injectors)In regards to leaving some air in the system I would not worry. Once the pump is primed and the engine starts to fire any remaining air in the pump discharge side will be compress and absorbed in the fuel and pushed out of the injectors. When I did may last oil and fuel filter change I found that if when the oil filter is remove it makes changing the fuel filter a lot easier(more room). Another thing do not crank for more 30secs leaving about a minute or two before the next cranking time so you will not burn out the starter. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-20          28373

It’s always good to follow a manual. The manual for my Ford 1710 describes going in order from two bled screws on the filter bowl to one on the pump. The procedure may have to be repeated. The manual also says that air may reach the injector lines, in which case the fittings may have to be loosened at the engine end and the engine cranked to expel the air. Different pumps may behave differently. There are warnings about loosening fittings on injector lines where fuel may be under sufficient pressure to penetrate skin. I haven't had to bleed injector lines, but I have had to repeat the basic bleeding procedure a half-dozen times or so. I've started filling the filer bowl with fuel and immerging the filter element before installing it. The idea is to have less air trapped in the filter element that eventually has to be bled. I don't really know it does any good, but it seems like it should. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-21          28418

Thanks, guys. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login