Go Bottom Go Bottom

Still need help with the power steering on my MF 231

View my Photos
rjh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-04          65581

I need to know what to replace when the Power Steering only works going one way.

Thanks ahead,

Ronnie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-04          65593

I don't know how the MF is configured, but the part that should be replaced is most likely the control valve that is on the end of the steering wheel shaft. This can be a combined unit with the power amplifier, but I don't know enough about the MF setup to tell you more. It is also possible that there is a seal damaged in the power side of the unit, but I think that that would just make it weak not become pinned to one side.

If the control side of the PS unit is stuck, it will apply power to that side. It may be physically stuck or you may have dirt or other foreign material in the valve/port section. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-05          65602

Sorry it looks like this is another post that fell through the cracks. I think the steering pinned to one side was Sandie's problem and we haven't heard any more about it.

AC pretty much summed up what I'd say and you might see if you can get some satisfaction from where the tractor was bought. It's hard to say without knowing the setup but the PS on my Ford requires a sizable tear down to do most anything and a few special tools like pullers as well. The MF's PS may be easier but you might have to be fairly experienced and equipped to do the work yourself. Having a repair manual is a good idea.

There is the possibility that it's not the PS at all but that the steering is binding going in one direction. A possible clue here is that my Ford PS makes hydraulic noise when it is activated and I can hear the engine throttle change when at slow idle RPM. If my PS steering wasn't working in one direction and I still heard the hydraulic sound I'd suspect the PS is working but the steering is binding. Binding steering could be anything from the steering sector to the wheels. ....

View my Photos
rjh

2003-10-05          65610

thanks for your help, I believe the Control valve is behind the dash panel but difficult to get too. The tractor also has two P.S cylinders, one on each front wheel. Do they go bad often. This is my first expierence with a tractor. I'm an car dealer turned farmer and a lot to learn, ha!

Thanks guys! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-05          65632

Cylinders can fail, but I cannot think of a way for a cylinder failure to cause the problem that you are describing. When a cylinder fails, it either leaks hydraulic oil to the outside or it leaks internally from the high pressure to the low pressure side. This is the normal kind of "wearing out."

You can also dent a cylinder body and that could lock the cylinder from moving and you can also bend the rod connected to the piston. Both of these kinds of damage can be readily seen. Slight bending of the rod may not cause the cylinder to bind, but will generally leak at the rod seal.

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-06          65655

It's probably a job for a mechanic with manuals. There are a bunch of possible designs and variations for a '90's tractor. I will poke around at a couple of things. Maybe it'll trigger somebody's thinking and we might still come up with a simple fix.

Is the problem that it doesn't turn in one direction at all or is it just weak? Does the steering wheel turn normally? Does the system make 'hydraulic noise' and if so in one or both directions? I wonder if there is a Pitman Arm and drag link coming off the steering sector and tie-rods or if it's a rack and pinion design? Do the cylinders look similar to those on a loader but with one line to them?

Many steering cylinders are single acting and internal failure likely would produce an external leak as AC mentioned. I believe they're fairly reliable. If the cylinder lines are flex hose they can be felt to stiffen when they get pressure, but if they're getting pressure and the steering isn't moving then a relief valve should be opening (they usually make a squealing sound).

The problem more likely is in the control valve and there are a bunch of possible designs. On many of them turning the steering wheel moves a collar on the wheel shaft up or to operate spooling valves. Anything that prevents movement of the collar could be the problem. It conceivably could be something as simple as alignment of the steering column. Many potential valve problems might be cured by simple rebuilding seal replacement. Entirely new parts may not be needed. I'd have it sorted out be a mechanic before throwing new parts at it.

View my Photos
rjh

2003-10-23          66929

Just to thank everyone for their help, I sent the tractor to a back yard farm mechanic and he fixed it for $85. It was one of the cylinders leaking in the front so it was fairly easy to fix (I would think) A lot easier than the control valve that is hidden underneath everything! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-24          66948

Yes, better the cylinder, and it sounds like a good outcome. For future reference I'm curious if the cylinder was single or double acting and if single acting was it leaking oil externally? I'd appreciate a post if you know. ....

View my Photos
MF 231 power steerin

2003-11-03          67929

It has two cylinders and there was not a fluid leak. He told my father that he just replaced the bushings (maybe he meant the seals) anyway, it's working great. I've worked it quite a bit lately. We are building a bridge and I'm moving a lot of rocks! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-04          67948

Good the tractor is now doing its job. Although exact problem now seems as irrelevant as history, but mechanic could have meant bushings if they were something that was binding the steering in one direction or binding one of the PS cylinders.

It's good to keep in mind that not all apparent hydraulic failures have anything to do with the hydraulic system. Just a possibility but maybe a good history lesson. What's the expression? 'Those who don't know History are doomed to repeat it.' ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login