Oil leaking out the overflow tube: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Oil leaking out the overflow tube: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

07-24-2002, 10:18 Post: 40638
Art White

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Oil leaking out the overflow tube

You have a rotating mass with the crankshaft and the rods and pistons. That throws the oil around in your crankcase and aireates the oil. Your problem seems to be that the oil is going out you vent tube more than likely from to much pressure in the base. This would be caused from cylinder glazing, worn out rings, or cylinders that have grooves from foriegn material. You might look to see if there is any seepage from the exhaust manifold on one cylinder or another to see if only one is the culprit. I think you need to have it looked at as an engine is not self healing and the condition will worsen before it gets better.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

07-24-2002, 21:48 Post: 40652
Morgan
2002-07-24 00:00:00

Or maybe I can just bend the rubber overflow tube so it faces back up and the oil will drip back in to the engine.

07-25-2002, 05:47 Post: 40658
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I hope the situation is that Morgan's huge leak is over and now thereís just a bit of oil dripping from the crankcase breather.

Art's theory is the one I'd start with as well. The rotating mass he mentioned creates a oil mist inside the crank-case (some engines even into the early '50's only had pressure oil feeds to the main bearings. The rod and cam bearings etc. were 'splash' lubricated by all the oil slinging around. Of course these engines did have little slingers on the crank to help out.

My version of the theory is that a worn engine may have appreciable blow-by that increases the volume of gases exiting the breather. These gases carry some oil mist along with it. The oil mist collects in the breather and drips out. My theory probably is more theoretical than Art's but both are good starting places for sorting the problem out. Facing the breather tube up would be a bad idea. There'd be a chance of it funneling rainwater into the crankcase.

07-25-2002, 06:57 Post: 40666
Morgan
2002-07-25 00:00:00

So maybe I can elevate the middle of the tube and have the end face down again. This way the "oil mist" will collect inside the part of the tube facing up, and clear air will come out the end part.

07-25-2002, 09:10 Post: 40671
Art White

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tom, that was what I was getting to just some time I'm interrupted or I just don't go far enough for everyone to understand totally what I'm refering to.

07-25-2002, 11:45 Post: 40672
Billy

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Blow-by is when the engine fires and part of the presure in the cylinder seeps into the crankcase, usually past worn rings. This presure has to go somewhere or your seals would blow. It takes the path of least resistance...usually by way of a hose to the breather or a PCV. Sometimes the dipstick and on older engines, the oil cap itself. If blow-by gets bad enough, there will be oil oozing out everywhere.

Billy

07-25-2002, 19:10 Post: 40676
Morgan
2002-07-25 00:00:00

Next time I fire it up I'll check to see if there's any air blowing out that hose. If it's just oil dripping then it's something else, but if it's really blow-by like you say, then I'd expect to feel wind blowing out the hole.

Plus, doesn't blow by mean there's worn rings? If there's worn rings I'd expect to get oil smoke from the stack. This tractor doesn't smoke.

07-26-2002, 05:47 Post: 40679
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I wonder what's going on with the engine. I think blow-by and smoke usually go together. If it were worn rings I'd expect to see bluish smoke coming from both the exhaust pipe and breather when the engine is under heavy power. According to my repair manual, excessive or wrong oil can produce white exhaust smoke, but I don't know if that always occurs.

I suppose it would be good to verify accuracy of the dipstick when changing oil and filter by filling it with the amount and type of oil speced in a manual (after running the engine to fill the filter). Contaminates, especially coolant, may cause oil to foam, which could cause the dripping. In such a case, you'd expect the dripping to be minimum immediately following an oil change.

I don't know if the dip-stick is an automotive push-on type or a small engine screw-on type. If it's a screw on type, it would be good to verify if dip-stick readings are taken with it screwed back in or not. I don't know if something like that would make a quart's worth of difference though.

Air exiting the breather may be normal. Pistons move up and down and displace air in the cylinders under them. the displacement in some engines isn't balanced and a pressure wave inside the crankcase develops. There was a discussion here awhile back about an opposed twin engine. The crankcase was vented into the air intake, and something like a PCV valve was installed to moderate the pressure wave.

07-26-2002, 06:21 Post: 40681
Morgan
2002-07-26 00:00:00

For one thing, the oil on the dipstick is dead black, even just after I changed it. Is that normal for diesel engines? I know if my car's oil was this black, I'd call the wrecker. But I think diesel's run a lot of carbon into the oil.

07-26-2002, 06:50 Post: 40683
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

That sounds pretty normal. Used diesel oil (and especially from tractors) is black gunky stuff. Itís worse if the engine is run below normal operating temperatures. Diesels also produce more acids in the oil than gas engines. Thatís why itís important to use diesel rated oil and follow the change intervals.

I understand that golf courses in the Arabian Desert have browns rather than greens. The browns are made by mixing sand with prime crude, some other type oil and watered with used engine oil. I guess the used oil is for colour. I suppose a little used tractor oil wold go a long way.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 38037 Filter by Poster:
Art White 4 | Billy 1 | DRankin 1 | FarmerWannabe 1 | Fitch 1 | Morgan 11 | Morgan Wright 1 | photios@werple.net.au 1 | TomG 9 |

Most Viewed

+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX and B series SnowBlowers

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA ARE JUNK
+ Source for after market produc
+ 3-Point Quick Hitch
+ B 7100 ST - Making the Leap
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT