Something to pick up walnuts?: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Something to pick up walnuts?: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-17-2000, 13:03 Post: 19850
Duane Pearl

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Something to pick up walnuts?

I was wondering if there is any type of lawn sweep that would pick up black walnuts, as my yard is plagued by several large black walnut trees. I do not wish to cut them down because they are the only trees around, but they make a horrible mess, not to mention they are hard on the mower blades of my new Kubota B7500 HST (which I LOVE by the way). Picking them up by hand is like pissing into the wind, they just keep falling for like a month in the fall, and there is just simply too many of them. Is there anything on the market that would help me out? Is there a way to modify a lawn sweep so that it will pick them up? ( I am a tool and die maker, and can make just about anything) Any and all help would be appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-17-2000, 13:38 Post: 19852
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Duane, I'll sure be interested in any answers to this one. I have a dozen pecan trees and haven't found a good way to pick them up, except by hand, since I can't afford the big equipment that's used by the commercial orchards. I've often wondered about a PTO powered rotary broom similar to the brooms used on some street sweepers, but if they exist, that too might be too expensive.

09-17-2000, 14:57 Post: 19856
Duane Pearl

Filter by User

I too was looking at commercial nut picker-uppers, or whatever you call them. They are far too expensive. Then I looked at golf ball picker-uppers. They too are very expensive, but I think their design is easy to build. They basically have plastic discs that spin on a shaft which press down over the golf balls, picking them up to be scraped out from between the discs by a little metal finger, and deposited in a bin. This would work for walnuts too I think, but maybe not pecans. Walnuts have that green thick outer husk type thingy on them that would help. You see, golf balls are all the same size, but walnuts vary. However, if those plastic discs were rugged enough, they could slice right down into the husk, allowing for some variance in the size of the nut. I am thinking if I bought a lawn sweep and retrofitted a shaft full of discs on it instead of brushes, I could possibly solve my dilemma. Not sure though, and any input on my idea or anyone elses idea would be great.

09-17-2000, 15:31 Post: 19858
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Duane, I'm familiar with the equipment for picking up golf balls, but of course, that won't work for the pecans for a number of reasons. One being the different sizes and another being the fact that the golf balls are picked up off manicured grass for the most part. I'd like something to not only gather the pecans in one pile, but also to sweep or clean the ground under the trees before the nuts fall. I mow it very short first and I've raked, used a leaf blower, etc., and I've tried about 3 of the manual rollers for picking them up, but nothing that I really liked yet. When I was a kid, we had a black walnut tree and we put a concrete watering trough in the ground under that tree for a little fish pond. We learned very quickly that black walnuts falling in the water kill fish!

09-17-2000, 16:48 Post: 19860
charlie

i tried out a york rake a couple years ago.i wasn't to impressed with it(doesn't hold a candle to a pulvillizer),but it did a good job cleaning up my walnuts.i set the top link to where the teeth didn't tear the grass to bad and went to town.i just left them in piles and picked them up with the front loader.good luck

09-17-2000, 20:14 Post: 19863
Duane Pearl

Filter by User

what is a york rake? and where can I find one?

09-18-2000, 02:14 Post: 19865
Jim Youtz

Filter by User

You guys might try a 3 pt rake called a pinestraw rake. Its like a comb (leaf rake) with fine tines which they say works well for raking pine needles and dethatching lawns. Since I have lots of pine needles, I plan to buy one someday. They are fairly cheap (5' model = $150) and not all that heavy to ship.
They are made by Leinbach Manufacturing (Winston-Salem N. Carolina). I have to run now, but if anyone need a phone no. or address, I can dig up the literature that I received on these implements.

09-18-2000, 09:39 Post: 19871
Richard

Please post thier phone number and address

09-18-2000, 11:53 Post: 19873
Phil Serre

Filter by User

Duane
I am doing the same search that you are. Here are a few products that I have found. "Steinerturf.com" a steiner LS340 lawn sweeper - its made to jam grass, leaves, sticks and other debris into it's hopper. It's a two stage system, I had a demo and the unit worked great. It picked up rocks sticks apples etc. It cost around $2400.00. " Wickco.com" has a model 136 estate groom sweeper - Heavy duty and they say "The brush has the power to pickup leaves, pine needles, wet or dry grass clippings, and other similar debris" it cost $795.00. The really nice units are made by "Trilo.com" but are pretty expensive. I am trying to find out the actual price and were I can get one. If you get any information on units like these please let me know.

Happy Tractoring
Phil

09-18-2000, 15:46 Post: 19879
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Duane, I regularly have the same chore to perform (albeit with acorns and other nuts also) the only thing I have found that will do the job is an older "Olathe Sweeper" that I purchased at a 'surplus equipment' auction, they used to be very common amongst municipalities, etc. They were made by the Olathe Equipment Company, in Olathe, Kansas. I'm not sure if they are still around, but lots of their equipment still is. It works on the basis of two counter-rotating rows of rubber 'fingers' that just barely mesh together, causing a combination of vacuum and physical lifting action, this causes the debris to be blown up into the bin above. In my case the 'bin' is about 8' wide, 8' long & 5' high, and is able to dump high enough (by a cable and pulley actuated hydraulic system) to load directly into a dump truck. It rides on a series of 5 wheels, 4 below, and one steering caster whell in front, it is pulled with the draw-bar, and self-powered (including hydraulics) by a 16hp Kohler gas engine. It will also clean up twigs, etc., and de-thatch as you go. Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 19850 Filter by Poster:
8x56mn 1 | auerbach 2 | Bird Senter 3 | charlie 1 | davitk 1 | DennisCTB 1 | Duane Pearl 6 | Frank R Taylor 1 | FrogLick 2 | Greg franklin 1 | Jim Youtz 2 | Michigander 1 | moj 1 | Murf 3 | mywolflover 1 | Paul Fox 1 | Phil Serre 2 | RegL 1 | Richard 1 | turfman 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Boom Mower
+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota BX and B series SnowBlowers
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ KUBOTA ARE JUNK
+ Source for after market produc
+ 3-Point Quick Hitch
+ B 7100 ST - Making the Leap
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT