John Deere JD 755 wont start: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review John Deere JD 755 wont start: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

01-18-2008, 18:12 Post: 150422
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 John Deere JD 755 wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 150402
If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, you have fuel, the white smoke is unburnt fuel;;;

Disagree. White smoke is condensation. Water. Gray or uncolored exhaust is burnt fuel. Black is incomplete combustion.

There should be a hex head collar that tightenes the individual fuel lines to the individual injectors. Loosen those collars, crank the engine. If/when fuel is pumped out, tighten them back down - the engine should start. Smell it to make sure it's fuel - not water. If nothing comes out, you're either out of fuel - or the fuel flow is blocked somewhere in the delivery system.

//greg//

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-18-2008, 20:21 Post: 150430
porkystruck

Filter by User

I removed the air filter and hooked up the jumper cables. It started up and ran like crap for about 4-5 minutes then started running smooth. Must have been the cold weather like yall said.
Thanks

01-19-2008, 07:26 Post: 150439
candoarms

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Porkystruck,

I have a daughter going though her Army training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. She joined the North Dakota National Guard two years ago.

She tells me that the weather there hasn't been all too warm as of late, which is why I asked about the temperatures in your area.

I agree with Greg_g. Black smoke is a sure sign that the engine is cold, and that the fuel is not burning properly. When it gets down around the freezing point, I plug in the electric block heater for about an hour before attempting to start it.

It's 25 degrees below zero here this morning. (actual temp. Windchill is somewhere around -35) I won't be starting my tractor today, but if I had to, the Knipco heater, powered by #1 diesel, would be the only way I could accomplish the task. That little electric block heater won't cut the mustard at these temps.

Glad to hear you got yours running.

Joel

01-19-2008, 08:21 Post: 150441
greg_g

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 150439
I agree with Greg_g.Black smoke is a sure sign that the engine is cold....

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from what I wrote. It's NOT normal for a cold engine to emit black exhaust during the start cycle, unless it's unnecessarily "gunned" before it's permitted to warm up properly. Gray is good, gray going to uncolored is better.

White however, is not unusual from a cold engine while the starter is cranking. It's simple condensation produced when the cold intake air is heated by compression. It should go away in seconds, changing to gray - then uncolored. Volumes of white that persist after starting suggest water in the cylinders; typically a bad head gasket or perforated water jacket.

Once a properly fueled engine is warmed up, a brief output of black is not unusual when the engine is subjected to a sudden heavy load. The governor will initially overcompensate, but the black smoke should quickly return to gray - then uncolored - as the fuel delivery matches the engine load.

//greg//

01-19-2008, 09:13 Post: 150445
jbjpam

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

This is not meant to scare you but it was my problem on my 755. Mine started fine most of the time but always a little hard as it got colder. I had a block heater too and it was plenty warm enough. It continually started getting harder to start each time. One time it would not start at all. So I did all of the following. Fuel was getting to the injectors, new battery, block was hot, new injectors, glow plugs were hot. Towed it to the dealer (2 miles away) and they did a compression check. It would not start because of not enough compression. So I towed it home and removed the heads and the cylinder walls were pretty bad. So I removed the engine and tore it down. Everything was in specification except for the cylinder walls. Somehow dust had been getting sucked in. Loose filter hoses I am assuming. But I ended up doing a complete rebuild as long as it was apart. I hope it is not your problem but it is sounding like it. I would proceed right to the compression check. Good luck.

01-21-2008, 09:07 Post: 150479
porkystruck

Filter by User

Whats the easiest way to check the hydraulic fluid level on this JD 755?

01-21-2008, 22:47 Post: 150527
jd110_1963

You should have a dipstick on the rear of the tractor. It is above the pto shield to the left, I believe.

01-25-2008, 15:24 Post: 150728
wmgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkystruck | view 150340
I have a JD 755 3 cyl deisel.It ran good last weekend.I went to start it up today and it wouldn't start.The motor turns over and I see smoke coming from the exhaust.I did noticed that when I turned the key off last weekend that the motor stumbled a couple times before it shut down.Where should I start?

I was told that these Yanmar diesels need to crank fast, if the battery is slightly low charge that could be it. I'd also check your fuel filter, in addition I'm assuming you have the glass sediment bulb like I have on my 650. I'd guess one of the above is the problem. IF it has ran out of fuel because of a clogged filter or water in the tank, you might need to bleed out the lines... I hope you have the owners manual to show you how.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 150340 Filter by Poster:
candoarms 2 | greg_g 3 | jbjpam 1 | jd110_1963 1 | kthompson 3 | Murf 2 | porkystruck 5 | wmgeorge 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ John deere 2520
+ JD 1070 4WD vs Kubota L3710 4WD

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob
+ Hello Green, Goodbye Orange
+ Receiver hitch for iMatch
+ 4300 wheel bolt problems
+ 4000 Ten Series 50 hour break
+ Don't buy JD compact tractors.
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Newest Topics

+ 4310 Load Match Jerking while driving
+ JD 420 Tractor wont start up
+ John Deere 4310
+ Left Hand Gear shift stuck John Deere 2440 tractor
+ John Deere 4x2 Battery Will Not hold Charge Belt S
+ JD 790 springtime start up problems
+ John Deere 850 injection pump
+ 2014 John Deere 2032R Reviews
+ suspension seat for jd950
+ John Deere 950 loader installation piping ?