WHat to charge for bush hogging: Field Mowers Brush Cutters  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review WHat to charge for bush hogging: Field Mowers Brush Cutters -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

04-18-2001, 18:02 Post: 26871
gws

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 WHat to charge for bush hogging

I dont disagree that what you use to do the job will affect your price, I am saying that it doesnt change what I am willing to pay for a job to be done. Its worth $50 to get my field cut. If you have all bright shinny hardware or a ratty old tractor the price I am willing to pay $50.

I know some jobs are hard to guage how long it would take, backhoe work with all the hidden things, but bush hog work should not be that hard to guage.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-18-2001, 18:48 Post: 26876
Mark E. Lamprey

Filter by User

gws, In that respect, I can not argue with you. I can and will honestly say that I have never done any brush hog work and therefore have no idea how long it might take to mow say, 3 acres. I have also only owned my tractor for two months and loving every minute of it. If the man who does your mowing is content with what your willing to pay and you are happy with him, then that is all that truly matters. The worst case scenario some day may be. when he can't or won't do it for that price then you will be faced with the decision of either paying present market rates, renting a machine and mowing your own field, which could be a lot of fun or leaving the field unmowed. But that is one of those bridges you can cross when you come to it. Mark

04-18-2001, 22:33 Post: 26897
JeffM

GWS, Mark beat me to the punch on this one. Free market economy at it again. You may not be willing to pay my price which reflects my cost of doing business, especially if I have competition available to you that either has lower operating costs/prices or that essentially does the work as a hobby, not a business. If there is sufficient local competition like this, my business will not be viable because I am above the prevailing market rate. If, however, this competition is artificial/unique and then disappears, you will be forced to re-evaluate the value of having someone do this work at market rates. I think what Mark is basically saying is don't decide your pricing ONLY by your competition's price, you may drive yourself out of business faster than if you did nothing at all.

04-19-2001, 03:54 Post: 26908
harvey

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

What an interseting topic. I'm surprised Murf has not logged in. There is a difference in machinery. More power, faster cutting, requires more money per hour/job. I learned the hard way, BY THE HOUR ONLY. Too often I heard what about that and what about this, oh yea would you mind... But no where have I heard anyone mention the condition of the work to be done. Is it mowed once a year? 2-3 times? I can knock down a acre of maintained pasture a lot quicker than a neglected field once a year in July. But this topic could be about a bunch of sailors, just in port, squabbling about the price of hookers. Fair market value, condition of equipment, etc... Smile. Just my $.02 worth.

04-19-2001, 06:13 Post: 26911
Rick Seymour

"bunch of sailors, just in port, squabbling about ..."

Hmmmmm, Harv, do we need to start a new thread????

04-19-2001, 06:20 Post: 26913
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I had a sideline sound and lighting company for about ten years. I have no commercial experience in tractoring, but I imagine the business lessons are much the same. I first started informally, mostly helping out community groups that my X was a member of. The equipment as well as my skills were a little shaky, and there was no insurance. I also spent most of my time and profit renting equipment I needed. My accountant told me that most new business owners are at the mercy of their customers for the first two years. You're so eager for business that you'll virtually work for free. Basically, you're subsidizing your customers. After several years, I realized that I had good skills and a lot of equipment. I also realized that I was no longer set up do serve many of my early customers. From a business point of view, I couldnít afford to pass up big budget jobs to go set up small systems for panel discussion groups. Too much equipment was left setting around. I might, and did, do some small jobs as a hobby, but it was no longer business. My investment and acquired skills changed the type of jobs I could take and justify as a business activity. I agonized some, but then realized that I had some customers that I no longer wanted. I tried to nudge them towards other people I knew who were just starting in the business. I figure that my early work was a fair trade. I developed my skills and built up equipment working for groups that had no money. I got my skill developed, and the groups accepted some quality and reliability risks along with the low price. They also had much better shows than they could do on their own. Eventually, I moved along, and so did they. There's always an economic niche for businesses and customers alike. There's always a new business starting up that will subsidize their customers for awhile or someone who wants a hobby. There also are always businesses that find that there's a niche that can be filled by staying small. Their prices usually go up a bit as insurance, taxes, maintenance and premises are worked into the overhead, but they're still equipped to do small jobs. The quality to the customer also goes up. In the economy, it's up to a business to define its niche and appeal to enough customers to stay in business. It's also up to customers to find a business thatís right for them. However, sometimes the match between business and customer isn't great. Customers have to get rid of businesses or businesses have to get rid of customers. If I ever take up the tractoring business, these are lessons I won't have to learn again. The most important one: Know when you're subsidizing your customers and why.

04-19-2001, 06:40 Post: 26915
Mark E. Lamprey

Filter by User

TomG, Well Said !! Mark

03-16-2002, 15:41 Post: 36400
JWY
2002-03-16 00:00:00

I live 30 miles east of Dallas. Brush hogging cost $35/acre to $75/acre. Most hourly rates I hear quoted are $35/hour on up to "ridiculous" prices. I have done tractor work around here for several years. I stay as busy as I want to. I usually quote my job at a job price (not per hour; I plan to make $35-$40 per hour, some time more on small jobs). I have a $35 minimum. If a person forces me to quote a per acre price, I will quote it at $30/acre. I will drive a reasonable distance to a job for a half-acre mowing job, but I get $35. On a real easy mowing job and close to home, I may mow 2 acres in a hour in which case I would charge $60 for the job.
BTW, I have slightly over $20,000 invested in my tractor, equipment, and trailer. If I had a $500 Farmall tractor, I would still charge the same prices.

03-20-2002, 12:44 Post: 36537
Greg H
2002-03-20 00:00:00

gws,
You have no idea obviously what is required if a sensible person goes thru to properly look at a job and the liabilities involved. Many factors control how much it should cost. Some want an almost front yard quality cut which requires more time. Also how rough the terrain is and what hazards lie on that property.
You cannot sensibly bush hog as fast on unfamiliar property where brush is thick and hides hazards as you can on regulary maintained property. I would not and could not afford to bush hog for less than 30. 00 and hour. For less it would be absurb. If you want something for nothing good luck.
Greg H

03-21-2002, 08:32 Post: 36571
Sams Hoggn
2002-03-21 00:00:00

I charge $35.00 an hour for most tractor work, brush hoggn, box blade, site clean up etc. I also charge a minimum of $105.00 that comes out to a 3 hour minimum. I stay as busy as I want to.If you do good work & have nice equipment your name will travel.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Thread 25932 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | Charton 1 | Dubber 1 | Ed 1 | Greg 1 | Greg H 2 | gws 8 | harvey 1 | JeffM 1 | JLK 1 | John Miller, III 1 | JWY 1 | Ken Butner 1 | Mark E. Lamprey 4 | Mark Lamprey 3 | Paul Fox 1 | Rick Seymour 1 | Sams Hoggn 1 | steve arnold 1 | Todd Wilson 3 | TomG 2 | worker 1 |

Most Viewed

+ 48 Woods vs. Bushhog Squealer vs. King Kutter??
+ Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter
+ 6ft Kodiak cutter
+ Disk Mower vs. Flail Mower vs. Sickle Bar Mower
+ Bush Hog - Woods - Land Pride???
+ Rotary Cutter or Flail Mower?
+ Roof Field Mower Parts
+ WHat to charge for bush hogging
+ Bush Hog vs. Woods rotary cutters
+ Side cutter for ditches and ponds

Most Discussion

+ My Cutter Ain't Level
+ WHat to charge for bush hoggin