WHat to charge for bush hogging: Field Mowers Brush Cutters  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review WHat to charge for bush hogging: Field Mowers Brush Cutters -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-26-2001, 20:03 Post: 25932
Todd Wilson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 WHat to charge for bush hogging

I am starting a lot and field mowing business here in Kansas and was wondering what this type of service goes for in other states? Is it an hourly basis or a per job basis? I am thinking 40$ an hour is a good price to charge. Am I way off?I will be brush hogging nad finish mowing depending on the job.Todd

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-27-2001, 05:22 Post: 25947
Paul Fox

That would be about right for Maine. I mowed commercially for 4-5 years. One word of caution: Get liability insurance. One unseen rock is all it takes.

03-27-2001, 08:01 Post: 25952
steve arnold

I mowed for about 5 years, haven't had any overtime at day job,
thinking about getting back into it. I started at $35/hour with
a 6 foot unit stopped at $60. I also had a min. charge of $75
I am north of Detroit, Heard of one place charging $75 with a 5'.
Get the insurance and safety features. If you show up with
nice equipment (truck,tractor,trailer...) no matter where, I think
you should get <$50, drive an 8n two miles to get to the job, >$40

03-28-2001, 08:26 Post: 25996
gws

Filter by User

If your charging by the hour you better show up at my place with top notch hardware. I have had a local guy take care of a 3 acre pasture. He gets $50 for the job. He uses an old farmall and beat up old bushhog.

04-15-2001, 10:27 Post: 26731
Dubber

Yes you are way off! My neighbor charges $25/hour with a 60hp tractor. If you're using a compact I would say $20. Someday my neighbor will retire (he's 73) and He'll introduce me to his customers. That will help me justify a new tractor the size I want. I would only want to do it within 2-3 miles from here to avoid trailering, but that leaves a lot of ground. If you could get big jobs you might hire someone to operate the tractor and you could personally deliver and pick up the equipment (before/after work). The problem is finding someone you can trust at the right price.

04-15-2001, 10:55 Post: 26732
Mark E. Lamprey

Filter by User

Tod, I personally don't think your that far out of the right price range. I just bought a 1988 JD 950 T/L/B and I wouldn't think of charging less than $35 an hour with operator here in New Hampshire. A lot of it depends on what the market in your area will bear. How much is your time worth without the machine ?
That machine costs a lot of money, plus insurance, fuel, maintenance, repairs. It is only my opinion, but I feel that the price you charge for the machine with operator should at the least, cover the costs and expenses of the machine, any less than that and it will cost you money, to mow somebody elses field. I would take all the Monthly costs of owning and operating the machine divided by how many hours a month you feel you can honestly and safely work it. That should give you a good idea of what you need to charge per hour so that you are not working for nothing. I don't know about you, but I am in business to make money,"Fairly & Honestly" Not do favors ! Good Luck ! Mark

04-18-2001, 07:58 Post: 26842
Ken Butner

I charge $40 per hour for mowing/bush hogging and I think that is a VERY fair price. For loader or backhoe work I charge around $50 per hour. I never tell a customer a price per hour. I keep the hourly rate in my head to help me price the job. The customer gets a total price for the work. I never price anything until I look/walk over the job site.

No matter how small the job, I have a min price of $80 "IF" I have to trailer my equipment. I am not hooking the trailer to the truck, load the tractor, drive to the job, unload the tractor, do the work, load the tractor, drive back home, and unload everything again for anything less than $80. I'd just rather stay home and piddle in the shop!!

My time is valuable and if I can not turn a profit to help me buy more toys then why WORK for free? My exceptions are for friends and goodwill!

BTW, why should a compact tractor get less per hour? Compacts are VERY expensive machines to purchase per horsepower! There are jobs that are for utility tractors and there are jobs that are for compacts. There are areas that overlap and in those cases both machines are just as efficient. I only take on work that is compatible and competitive with the epuipment that I own. -Ken

04-18-2001, 08:21 Post: 26846
John Miller, III

First, I wouldn't randomly "pull a figure out of thin air"...I agree with Mark and Ken, calculate exactly what does the tractor and implements cost YOU. If the guy down the road is doing it for $7.50 Hr and you have to just undercut him to get the business & charge $5.hr....then you find out it's costing YOU say $35. Hr... Well guess what...You just lost $30.hr! X so many hours {Sounds like the way some Dot.Com's are being run-another subject} After you know exactly what it costs, then figure in a fair profit and charge accordingly. Also consider what the local "Rental Agency" gets per day to rent the tractor, to rent the implement, to bring them to the job site, to pick them up.,cost of fuel, cost of operator etc. etc. Check local competition rates...Bottom line, there is "no magic formula"...but you should as least know what it COSTS YOU and go from there...

04-18-2001, 08:30 Post: 26848
gws

Filter by User

How much you pay for your equipment has no bearing on how much I am going to pay you to do the job. It may determine your price, but not what I am willing to pay. Should I pay someone more money because they spend more on hardware? I think not. Arround here people are getting about $10-20/acre for small <10acre fields. How long does it take you to bushhog an acre?

04-18-2001, 17:22 Post: 26868
Mark E. Lamprey

Filter by User

I think the cost of a piece of equipment and it's operating expenses, plays a major role in arriving at a price for the differant services that, that piece of equipment can perform. The days of doing work, for little or no money are long gone. "No disrespect intended" But the guy who' mowing 3 acres for $50.00 with an old Farmall and a beat up brush hog probably owes no money on the equipment and may not be carring any Liability insurance, and is not doing it as a proper business or for the money. Otherwise he would "Have" to charge more $$ just to cover his time and expenses. 9 times out of 10, the person who say's, "Thats Outrageous, I'm not paying that much", is usually the first one to Sue you because you ran over their wifes rose bed. Without Insurance coverage me or my machine does not set a foot or a tire on another persons property ! That insurance and all those other expenses, adds to the cost of doing business. If any person is not willing to pay a fair, honest rate, within the market range, they are more than welcome to take a day out of there valuable time, go to the local rental yard, lay out $200 for a day's rental (even if you only want it for a couple of hours, you pay for the whole day)and go do the job themselves. My local rental yard gets $200 a day, flat rate for a small 2 wheel drive loader / backhoe, that you could almost fit in the back of a full size pick up. It is the very reason I went out and bought a machine. I have several jobs this year that would have required renting a small machine. The cost of the rental would have had to be included into the cost of the job. My clients understand and except that fact. I figured if my clients have to pay it anyway to get there work done, that $200 might as well go into my pocket rather than the rental yards. As I said before. "I am in business to make money, Not do favors" I treat my clients fairly and honestly and they provide me with all the work I can handle, year after year. 90% of the public understand the many cost's of doing business, it's the 10% that want it done for little or nothing and then say, Oh were leaving for the Carribian. Can we pay you when we get back. Well, I certainly have vented and rattled on long enough. I know there are some of you who will disagree with my thinking, you have that right and I will respect that right. This is just one persons opinion, it is also what makes the CTB so great. Mark

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Field Mowers Brush Cutters Forum

Thread 25932 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | Charton 1 | Dubber 1 | Ed 1 | Greg 1 | Greg H 2 | gws 8 | harvey 1 | JeffM 1 | JLK 1 | John Miller, III 1 | JWY 1 | Ken Butner 1 | Mark E. Lamprey 4 | Mark Lamprey 3 | Paul Fox 1 | Rick Seymour 1 | Sams Hoggn 1 | steve arnold 1 | Todd Wilson 3 | TomG 2 | worker 1 |

Most Viewed

+ 48 Woods vs. Bushhog Squealer vs. King Kutter??
+ Rhino vs Bush Hog cutter
+ 6ft Kodiak cutter
+ Disk Mower vs. Flail Mower vs. Sickle Bar Mower
+ Bush Hog - Woods - Land Pride???
+ Roof Field Mower Parts
+ Rotary Cutter or Flail Mower?
+ Bush Hog vs. Woods rotary cutters
+ WHat to charge for bush hogging
+ Side cutter for ditches and ponds

Most Discussion

+ My Cutter Ain't Level
+ WHat to charge for bush hoggin